Sunday, June 26, 2016

Over the Mountain

On Friday night we drove over the mountain to the east. We were headed to Creede, Colorado for opening nigh tof the Creede Repertory Theater,
The drive is about a hour, and I never tire of it. You go over two mountain passes, the Continental Divide and pass the headwaters of the Rio Grande River. That is Bristol head in the distance.The fact that there is very little traffic is also a plus. Following are a few of the pictures I took from the car
We are pulling into town Creede which was Lake City's rowdy neighbor back in the mining days, with  notorious folks like Soapy Smith, Bat Masterson, Poker Alice, and Jesse James who was shot to death here in one of this town's then eighty saloons.
Creede has cleaned up it's act since then, and is now a charming place to visit.

7 comments:

  1. You really do love this area; I can tell by the information you add to your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a gorgeous drive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Janey,
    That was a lovely ride with you!
    My goodness, eighty saloons for such a small town...
    Hugs and happy week ahead.
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely surroundings and pictures from the car. I like to do that too. The name Jesse James I know, but the other I have never heard of. But Poker Alice must have been a tough lady I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is beautiful countryside, Janey. Aside from Jesse James, I do know of Bat Masterson.

    ReplyDelete