Saturday, August 17, 2019

What is a Pika

We have a lot of wildlife here in the San Juan Mountains. One little animal that some of the locals around here have never even seen is a Pika.
That is because they are up at a higher elevation. You might  for example come come across one while hiking. Native to Asia and North America, this little critter (or mammal) is a cousin to the rabbit (but smaller) has rounded ears and no tail.
A friend took this picture last week at about 10,000 feet  in the mountains east of here. I was amazed that she was able to get a shot. The few times I have come across one, they quickly scurry back into the safety of the rocks.Have you ever come across a Pika?

7 comments:

  1. I have seen pikas in the Rocky Mountains of Alberta. And again at high elevation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was fortunate to see one of these little creatures when I visited the Rockies in 2016. I didn't know what it was but my Canadian travelling companion was able to identify it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen one, but it is a very sweet looking little mammal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look so cute, so nice he made it to photograph him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an adorable little creature Janey, and very clever to stay so far away from the mainstream 💙

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Janey,
    No, never met a real Pika but love this adorable introduction!
    Your friend was lucky indeed for capturing it this way.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete