Saturday, March 14, 2020

A Day Out

My enrollment at our local universities senior citizen program also allows me to sign up for special interest groups. My favorite of the three is The Art of Fort Worth. This group has a couple of outings a month and all are very interesting. This week our group was invited downtown to the offices of Downtown Fort Worth, Inc. to hear how our towns’s wildly successful Main Street Art Festival came about.


Poor quality photo of a slide. 

Started in 1986 it is now the third most successful art festival in the country. Main Street is closed to traffic and eight blocks magically become a huge art gallery. There is a juried selection process and only about 200 artists are chosen From the 1400 who apply.


I was surprised when I got to the meeting (obviously early) that they had little gift bags for us.

After our very interesting presentation we then walked a block to the beautiful new Frost Bank Tower  (center) where we were to have lunch.


It is hard not to notice the artwork by Donald Martiny in the lobby. You may not realize how large it is, but I left the lobby chair in the shot for scale.
There is a casual lunch spot (The Branch and Bird) on the top floor.
We would have eaten on the outdoor terrace but it was a bit windy.
I discovered that there are fabulous views in two directions.

This will probably be my last outing as Tom and I have stocked up on food and medications and will stay home and watch movies, read (including your blogs) and try not to come in contact with this nasty virus. Stay well and wash those hands! Janey

8 comments:

  1. Loved your post. So sad that our daily life comes to a halt isn't it? We will have to skip our outings and become housewifes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice outing! We have a similar program here with Arizona State University. They have amazing classes and lectures. I love the view from your lunch spot. I need to do some stocking up later today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good way to spend a day, and terrific views.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I A Beautiful Rooftop Lounge - Glad Your Out & About And Having Some Fun

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Janey,
    Clever for leaving the lobby chair in your photo just for true proportions of that art work!
    That was a lovely outing and as usual very well prepared too.
    We have been to a big wedding, two hours north in our state.
    Packed Church and later the festivities were also in a big place full of people. We got home today after an overnight stay.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janey, I hope your shoulder replacement goes well. I sure hope you can come to CO this summer. We are in isolation now - unfortunately the virus is spreading in our resort towns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barb. Yes I heard that Gunnison had 10 cases which seems a lot for such a small population. Gunnison is where I shop weekly for food when at our Colorado house. We are staying in and trying to figure out how to while away the long hours...

      Delete