Sunday, March 22, 2020

Staying in Touch/Helping Out

All of our lives are a bit on hold at the moment. I know parents are faced with the added challenge of home schooling. My daughter in Austin, Tx ask me  to put together a lesson for 7 yr old Hannah, since she is also busy caring for an infant. Eek...I am not a teacher! 
So, I decided to make a book on my first trip to Paris ( in 1967) and why I fell in love with this city. My book will be presented on Face Time . Maybe I can pass along my love of travel to my granddaughter and she can learn a bit about another culture.

Using the Internet I located some pictures of the Eiffel Tower in 1889 when it was the centerpiece of the Wold's Fair.
First, I needed to show her where Paris...and France are. I also wanted to explain how I was able to afford such a trip. You see I was what they called a Stewardess at the time, and could fly on other airlines for free...well I did have to pay the taxes. My trip on TWA came to $45.00 roundtrip.
Next, I located my old uniform (yes I still have it). I feel sure to her it will look like I was  police woman or meter maid.
I flew to Germany and stayed two weeks with my Aunt and Uncle who were stationed there in the U.S. Military. They hooked me up with a three day bus tour of Paris (by myself). Here I am with a few of the other tourists. Notice how we dressed to sightsee in the 1960's!

The rest of the book consists of pictures of things I found unusual. Like a sidewalk Cafe. Being from a small Texas town, I had never seen one.
I had also never seen a subway
and was amazed that I could travel all over town swiftly, and cheaply under ground.
You get the idea...so I wont take you through the whole book.
Oh, I did find a picture of a little girl in a beret that looks a lot like my little Hannah. ..and I will tell her that one day I hope to take her to Paris to see all of the sights herself.

Tom is not too happy that I used up all of the ink in the printer...oh well.


7 comments:

  1. Dearest Janey,
    That is brilliantly done; regardless the ink usage...!
    Yes, this is more than just a lesson, it envelopes several lessons.
    You were a very gracious stewardess and yes, I too dressed like that in the 60s.
    As for sidewalk cafés, I grew up in the French culture as our southern Province was ruled by the French (revolution) for a long time and things stayed. Loved it always and my hometown has a big Plaza, full off sidewalk cafés but right now they're all closed...
    May the world heal and open up to the times of exploration for the younger generations, just as we knew it...
    Hugs + KUDOS,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great idea - it brings back lots of happy memories for you, keeps you busy, and is a really lovely gift for Hannah to learn about your love of travel and discovering new cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love this idea Janey, I also have such good memories of the sixties and the clothes we wear, so ladylike with handbags! So nice you still have your costume. Are you also paronized by your children at the moment? My daughter foned me this morning to assure me to stay home! The sun is shining, would loved to have a walk but I stayed in the garden. There are 179 people dead now in the Netherlands. Since saturday 43 people died all eldery people. So scary....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh well done Jamey. I'm sure Hannah will enjoy this virtual trip to Paris, I know I would.. it is my favourite city after Perth :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful idea. You've done a great job putting that together. Your old uniform make me smile. It brought back memories of my very first flight. It was back in the 60's and I was flying from St. Louis to Phoenix but they oversold the flight so they put me in first class on a flight to LA and then back to Phoenix. I remember very well that I wore a suit with gloves and that the stewardesses were dressed in uniforms like yours. They put a table cloth on my tray when they served dinner which was a steak. My how things have changed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a great idea for Hannah. I am home schooling my granddaughter who is 5. Our topic for this week is 'Special Places'. It would tie in very nicely with your book. I am hoping it will lead to some artwork of posters to advertise her special place. Written postcards from her place and then we re going to make a special place for her Teddy bear to live which we will have to get measurements for etc. Maybe you could suggest similar ideas for Hannah.

    ReplyDelete