Friday, July 31, 2015

A Historical Site

We have the annual home tours coming up in our little town, which I help with . I was driving around to the various homes, so that I could make a map for the people touring, when I stumbled upon  this:
click on photo to enlarge
This is what remains of a kiln that was used to make charcoal. The miner's realized that charcoal burned hotter than wood, and used it in their smelters
 I understand that the Black Smith's also used charcoal for their fire to bend metal.
There were the remains of three kilns here. I hope that they will be left as they are. School children have so many interesting sites around here to see on field trips.

7 comments:

  1. And, it appears to me that some residents also find the area historically fascinating and worthy of good photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have educational value. I remember kiln ruins up at a conservation area near where I lived.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An interesting piece of history that should be preserved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen several kiln sites - sometimes they're in the middle of nowhere. I always hope that they'll be preserved as a piece of western history.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice pictures and I learned a new english word Charcoal, (houtskool) in dutch.

    ReplyDelete