Monday, December 21, 2020

A Family Tradition

 I guess if I thought hard enough I could remember several favorite family traditions, especially those this time of the year. Driving around town in the evening looking for Christmas lights surely would rank up there as a favorite. I know I know things get way too commercial when it relates to Christmas, but who doesn’t like the magic of twinkling colorful lights? I don’t think Tom and I have ever done it alone, but last night we did.

So hopefully you will ride along.


It seems we were not alone after all there were several other carloads of people doing the same thing, so stopping long enough to stake a picture was at times a challenge.



Wrapping trees seems to be popular

The whole street seemed  to glow red with these lights.


These were clever.


How about these?

This home certainly looked inviting..


Wow, this one was amazing. That’s a private drive up to an estate,



and I have pictured this fancy gate many times. Here it is all done up for the holidays.



This picture (borrowed from the Internet) is probably the thing I miss most , baking cookies with my granddaughters
Merry Christmas


6 comments:

  1. These are fantastic. I especially liked those shooting stars lights. When I went to the garden last week, I did a little drive around some nearby neighborhoods on my way home. It was fun. Growing up, we used to do it as a family all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Janey,
    Your final photo is the WINNER!
    Oh, in 2004 I was driving around with our foster daughter and her friend from Indonesia. They had come to the U.S.A. after she'd graduated from University and be with us for two months. Sure, after supper I took them both with me in the car to drive around. One neighboring town was famous for elaborate lights. BUT I had to drive a kind of desolated stretch before getting there. I got tailgated by a crazy car and I worried and sped off, avoiding it. Next a police car stopped me and asked me what all the speeding was about and I told the agent. Told him that I'd left without my gun in the car and I felt threatened with my two deaf kids in the car... He bend his head through the window to look inside the car and greeted the kids and wished us all a Merry Christmas and drive careful he said!
    As for the BEST Christmas decorations EVER for both of us, that was in Singapore and what we loved most about it was that then in the late 80s they used only white lights. We never understood the red, blue, green etc. lights - it looks ugly and red lights do have quite a different meaning... I would die if I ever put them out!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, never seen a Christmas light display like that. Absolutely beautiful. Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is amazing how much trouble some people go to. All I can manage is a single string of pretty lights in the front garden and a Christmas garland on the front door.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least there is some light outside to enjoy, these are miserable times for everyone....

    ReplyDelete