Tuesday, December 15, 2020

The Christmas Elf

 It is tradition around Christmas time that I make holiday shaped sugar cookies. I started doing this when my girls had to stand on a stool in order to reach the kitchen counter. This is now a tradition that I look foreword to with my granddaughters, but it is not going to happen this year. It is our choice to stay safe and spend the holiday by ourselves. I haven’t been having as much trouble with this as my husband. From all descriptions that I have read, I believe I would be categorized  as an introvert, and there is no guessing that my Tom is an extrovert or type A personally, or whatever you want to call it. Sitting still is not one of his strong suits, so this isolation is killing him. Needless to say he was happy to help me decorate  Christmas cookies. 


I of course had to set forth some rules, and ice one eat one was not one of them.
It turned out to be a fun activity. Of course there were way too many cookies for just the two of us, so I packed a few in Christmas tins and he delivered then to the doorsteps of our neighbors.
Any other suggested activities welcomed
Merry Christmas!

8 comments:

  1. They sure are pretty! You both did a great job! We like to drive around in the evenings and look at Christmas lights. That would be a safe activity this year! holiday hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cookies are beautiful! What a great way to get in the spirit. I bought Ina Garten's new cookbook "Modern Comfort Food" and I'm going to make the applesauce cake with bourbon raisons today. That should make the house smell good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cookies look amazing Janey, we have our shortbread making day on Sunday 💜

    ReplyDelete
  4. Icing one and eating one should be a given. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I So Feel His Pain - Almost Finished With My Holiday Project - Will Share Soon - Big Hugs

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Janey,
    Janey & Co, your team effort looks rather professional I must say.
    Beautifully decorated and no doubt that was a lot of work.
    Are you not too stern on your 'helper'...?
    Can't have any more sweets but tomorrow I will start making us a batch of healthy chocolates with hazelnuts, dried coconut, dried apricots and no sugar, just a bit of raw honey (my Pieter LOVES sweets, glad he never got the verdict of being diabetic!).
    Wishing you a happy time together and a Merry Christmas.
    Both of us went voting today on a dreary, windy and rather cold day. No rain though.
    Eye surgery on Friday at 9:30 AM so I might not be able to do any reading/writing for a while. Hope my 'only' eye for reading and such will be fine afterwards.
    Pieter is my driver and I'm glad it will be early in the day as I hate for him to drive one hour on the Interstate into the dark.
    Can't believe Christmas is coming so fast our way. We have been very busy, all year, no boring moment for us. WISH I would find more time for riding my bike, together with Pieter.
    Big hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very attractive Christmas cookies, you both did a great job - perhaps you could save some for the grandchildren to enjoy later in the year. I am like you, I am happy for us to spend Christmas on our own, which I think is the first time ever for both of us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cookies look very professional Janey, I would love to be your neighbour and find a bag with cookies on my doorstep!

    ReplyDelete