Thursday, December 17, 2020

Western Art

We are having beautiful fall weather with cold nights and sunny mild days, so we decided to go walk around the Amon Carter Museum. It is well endowed by the Carter Foundation, so it’s free and houses a large selection of American art.


We also know that there are no crowds these days, especially in the afternoon during the  week .That is  the Cater Museum behind us.

They are known primarily for their western collection, but they do have a wide range of other art...this being one of my favorites.



To tell you the truth, I can’t tell a Remington from a Russell and they have a nice selection of both. Above is a Russell.

This one is a Russell too. I found it sort of funny...and after reading about it, seems it really happened.


Russell like Remington also did bronze sculptures .

This is a Remington.



and this is a Remington sculpture. See what I mean about their art being similar? Then I started checking and they were both born around the same time, Russell in 1864 and Remington in 1861.One was born in NY and the other in Missouri. Their families both being prosperous and conservative, and at an early age they both moved to Montana. I wondered if they knew each other. One article said no they never met, another said they met once in 1904. I did find out the main difference though. Seems Russell was all about the cowboy and looked at the Indian as a savage, while Remington had great compassion for the Indians and it shows in his work. I will have to go back now and see if I can tell whose painting it is without reading the plaque.
 




5 comments:

  1. I haven't been to a museum or exhibition for months! We are now in a complete lockdown until January 17th! All shops and schools are closed exept the supermarkets for food. The only light in the tunnel is that our daughter will come with her husband here for Christmas. Only two people visit is allowed. Other years they always went to her husband parents in England, but travels are not possible this year so now they can come to us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I read about your most recent lockdown. I don’t think the museum had more than ten people total visiting and there were enough rooms that we never came across anyone. Happy that your daughter is able to come. We will be alone.

      Delete
  2. What a great way to spend an afternoon. Our art museums are all scheduling people right now so that people are spaced out. I've been twice. I should make another appointment and go again.
    That Remington statue in the last photo has been reproduced many times. There is a house around the corner from me that has a statue like that in the yard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Outstanding As Always - Thanx For The Tour - I Appreciated The History Lesson As Well - Stay Strong

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Janey,
    Wow, that was a great museum visit and very educational. What an important piece of information about the profound difference between Russell and Remington. I choose the latter and that painting you show is incredible!
    Glad you both managed to go and visit. Next time will be even more interesting with this knowledge.
    Today I drove back the one hour trip to Macon via Interstate, for my post-op. All was well and I'm so happy for having had my eye surgery done yesterday and my Pieter being able to drive me home safely. He had his done 38 years ago on June 29 in Rotterdam and needed to stay one week in the hospital. Guess extended stay since he had to vomit so violently after the anesthesia... Which was not good for the eye and new implant lens.
    Grateful for this year of 2020 in many ways.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete