Wednesday, January 30, 2019

The Mascot

Schools and colleges around the U. S. have mascots. A mascot according to Wikipedia is any person, animal or object to bring good luck.

A lot of people think it rather amusing that the university in our town chose the Horned Toad (pictured above) as their mascot. He is almost invisible in this picture, as they blend in with the landscape. The Horned Toad, which has sadly become rather scare, in reality is not a toad... but a lizard. When I was a child they were plentiful in North Texas, and I remember not being afraid of them. We would discover them burrowed into the sand and play with them, even though we were warned that they could squirt blood from their eyes when threatened. I never saw this happen, so I guess they were not afraid of me either.
In the neighborhood near the university (Texas Christian Univ.) on the corner by the Chancellors resident, is a new bench of their mascot...the Horned Toad. I had to laugh because they did not put the little horns along its back....probably because it would make it uncomfortable to sit on..

Have you ever seen a Horned Toad?

top photo credit: The Internet

4 comments:

  1. No never I only saw a horny Devil in Australia once. Looks quite simular, but he was very toxicant when they hit you, you could die in a minute....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of them, but their range doesn't get anywhere near here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am well acquainted with the horned toad, Janie. He was a recipient of our money for four years. It was worth every penny. Our Little Frog is marrying another Frog this Fall. Have a great Sunday. Go Frogs!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Janey,
    No, never a horned toad!
    I've held many toads and frogs and used to catch them an bring them home for my brother Pieter who actually turned out to become a biologist and he mainly studied toads and frogs.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete