Monday, January 14, 2019

Winter Color

We sure have enjoyed our espalier that we had installed on the wall separating our house from our neighbors. We moved into what they call a zero property line home about four years ago. That means our property is very narrow and the neighbors are only ten feet away. We are separated by a brick wall. Having had a large beautifully landscaped backyard in the home we downsized from, it wasn’t long before that grey wall in my face had me a bit depressed.
Espalier is a French word referring to a trained vine on a wall, in this case the vine is Pyracantha  .
In the Spring it has pretty white flowers for about two weeks. The berries show up in the Fall and stay until Spring. It is hard to see, but we have  installed  up lights that illuminate the entire wall in the evening. The lights are on a timer and come on at dark and turn off around 11pm. 

It is still not the beautiful backyard we had before....but I am happier now that I can see something other than bricks.

6 comments:

  1. I recall when you had this done, and hasn't it come on well, it looks very attractive indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks very nice now and has grown to cover the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that pattern is lovely, Janey. The bright colors of a growing plant would make me smile when I look at the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks amazing Janey. Makes a really pretty outlook. I did try to espalier once, nowhere nearly as successful as this ✨

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Janey,
    That Espalier has really taken shape and it sure is beautiful.
    The added lights will add to its beauty as well.
    Sending you hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete