Tuesday, April 10, 2012

When Cotton Was King

                                        
   The little central Texas town of Calvert prospered when the railroad laid tracks through town in the later part of the nineteenth century. The rich soil also produced healthy fields of cotton. Many of these plantation owners chose to build their mansions in town. I was surprised that so many were still standing and very well cared for..


I love the generous porch on this one. I can imagine sitting there in a porch swing, enjoying the slight breeze with a tall glass of iced tea!

* Little known fact: Los Angeles mayor Tom Bradley was born in Calvert, Texas!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. The entire exterior of the house is gorgeous. I'd love to see the inside too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those planters houses are beautiful indeed. I have seen a few when I was in the south part of your country.

    ReplyDelete