Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Cricket's Garden

We are still entertaining our guest from France, so we decided to show her (Marina) the nearby ski resort town of Crested Butte today.
The photo above is of the butte or mountain top that the town is named for.
The little ski town always has flowers everywhere...in the summer that is, and this little patch off of the main drag is always beautiful.
I was delighted today to meet the owner...and gardener of this little bit of paradise. We talked about her flowers for awhile, and then I ask if I could take her picture....she agreed and told me her name was  "Cricket". I inquired if she was named after the bug or the game?...So she told me how she got her name:

It seems she was visiting her uncle when she was eleven years old. Her Uncle was a World War II General ...a West Point grad, classmate and good friend of one of our presidents, Dwight D. Eisenhower. President Eisenhower actually came to visit her uncle when he was in office. . President Eisenhower ask her if she knew how to read...to which she replied "I am eleven years old, of course I know how to read"! He then said "well you are no bigger than a Cricket".....and the name stuck.
Thanks Cricket for sharing your wonderful story and for letting folks stroll through your beautiful garden.!

Dwight D. Eisenhower was president from 1953-1961

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful story and name that really suits this happy looking lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful story, I bet she was proud of the name to use it the rest of her life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marina looks like a beautiful wee town Janey, gorgeous flowers. Cricket obviously has a green thumb, love her story 😀

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really appreciate your professional approach.These are pieces of very useful information that will be of great use for me in future.

    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete