Sunday, March 10, 2013

What is it?


Hanging in the dining room of the apartment we are leasing is a large painting by Robert Elsocht (1908-1999).

At first glance I thought it was of a large wave. Then studying it, I noticed the desert looking plants along the bottom. I believe it is a canyon. My sister who knows the owner says no . I have researched Robert Elsocht who was born in Belgium, and died in Berkley California....but I can't find this painting.
What do you think? I will let you know.
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

  1. It is a lovely painting with really attractive soft colouring - it definitely is a mountain/canyon view, but where exactly ? As he lived in Californian it is probably a good chance that it is in that area. Have you had a look at the back of the painting for any clues?

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first sight I saw a canyon indeed, with a kind of desert behind. Is it Death Valley?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did a quick search and couldn't find anything on him either. Guess you'll jet ave to enjoy the painting... a little too "brooding" for me, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my vote is for canyon.Milt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Born in Belgium, I must admit my ignorance
    have you seen this ?http://www.askart.com/askart/e/robert_elsocht/robert_elsocht.aspx
    looks a bit like it, don't you think ?
    greetings
    anni

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was hoping that you would drop by today! Yes I did see that and it does look similar. Thanks everyone. It is unanimous!

    ReplyDelete