Thursday, October 20, 2016

A Pot of Cactus

On our walk the other morning
we came across a pretty pot of Prickly Pear Cactus . I was surprised that it was about to bloom. I thought that they bloomed in the Spring? Did you know at you can eat Prickly Pear Cactus paddles. They sell them in the grocery store around here. Of course the needles are scraped off. Hmm I never thought about it, but wouldn't that be an awful job.Sitting and scraping sharp needles off of a cactus all day. Surely that step is automated? So if you would like a recipe or two for Prickly Pear paddles, go here: HERE
The pot was attached to a small rock fence, so I am using it to 
Link to Good Fences: HERE

12 comments:

  1. i've heard about that...they are very prickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'd sure have to check twice before eating it, wouldn't you. And I'm not signing up for the scraping job. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. no, i think those are the pears that are ripe after earlier blooms fell off and they've matured.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that those are actually the pears which form after the blooms have died. We brought home some Prickly Pear jam from Malta earlier this year, and it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, I have learned something myself. I will look for the actual blooms in the Spring.

      Delete
  5. I've head of prickly pear margaritas! That despining looks like lots of work. I think I'll pass on the sautéed ones!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting. It certainly does look prickly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Janey, that's a very nice image. I see the cactus paddles in one of the stores here where we get the ingredients we need for our Thai food. I have looked at them and tried to figure out how to use them so your link is very welcome, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I would like to eat a cactus, but the picture of the pot plant is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a neat find. My mom use to have a cactus like that and a Hispanic lady she baby sat for always asked for some of the pads to fix and eat. Great way to display them on that rock wall.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It would be worse than plucking a chicken.

    ReplyDelete