Saturday, March 12, 2016

Wet!

We have been down in Houston part of this week (260 miles south),
and the weather looked like this in both directions. Therefore, I only took this picture....so

I thought you might get a kick out of this picture.
Looking a bit like the cast of a Keystone Cops silent movie are the policemen of my home town in the early 1900's . The gentlemen front and center (seated) is the Chief of Police, and my maternal Great Grandfather Sam.(1859-1938).
Sam came to north Texas from northern Mississippi in the 1880's with his family and his new bride Julia. They came by way of the coal mines in Indian Territory(now the state of Oklahoma). Sam's grandchildren called him Big Daddy, so I am thinking he was tall?
Sam and Julia had eight children that lived to adulthood (six girls and two boys), my grandmother being the youngest girl. I never knew this great grandfather, but I loved hearing about him and his hobby of raising  prized show chickens.
If any of my relatives are reading this you are welcome to correct me, or add what you know :) Janey
Have a wonderful weekend
Our rain is supposed to stop today.

9 comments:

  1. A good looking bunch. I don't know for sure, but I imagine you being tall, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would give anything for that rain Janey :) What a brilliant old b&w.
    P.s. just to let you know I tried the chicken breast recipe, it was soooo good, merci beaucoup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would give anything for that rain Janey :) What a brilliant old b&w.
    P.s. just to let you know I tried the chicken breast recipe, it was soooo good, merci beaucoup!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite a portrait of Sam! That sky did look ominous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Janey,
    Wow, bad looking sky indeed... We had lovely, sunny weather and very warm.
    Love such a historical photo and it is a treasure to have. Quite a story.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look very prepared for their job, two holding a batton ready for use. I like the old pics very much als you do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds right to me. I think I have a picture of one of those chickens.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds right to me. I think I have a picture of one of those chickens.

    ReplyDelete