Friday, February 5, 2016

Spooky

Some of you know that I have a thing for old homes. My husband knows this, and figures he is not going to get through a small town without me wanting to scout around for an interesting house. We came through little Calvert, Texas recently and I found this:
 click on photo to enlarge
My first thought was: Gosh this place looks haunted! Imagine my surprise to find out that it had actually been featured on a television show called Ghost Hunters! The house was built in 1887 by a  gentleman saloon owner. Seems Calvert, which has only about 1,100 inhabitants, at one time had a population of over 3,000 and was a bustling cotton exporting town. I don't know who lived in the house after that, but  it was on the market recently for $167.000 dollars and didn't sell. It was advertised  that the place had not been remodeled in all of these years....and they posted several pictures to prove it. So, come in my friends!
 The entry hall showing all of the Victorian age woodwork

The staircase
The parlor with it's leaded glass windows and transom
A bedroom with the fireplace, original moldings, cedar lined walls, and pocket doors.
I am hoping that since it is not on the market now, that someone actually did purchase this Victorian Queen, and will restore it to it's former glory.

Oh, the scary tree out in front is a cherry tree and has beautiful white blossoms in the Spring.

7 comments:

  1. I really hope someone does buy it and love it again Janey but it wouldn't be me :) it does indeed give off a spooky feeling. So many gorgeous features though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really hope someone does buy it and love it again Janey but it wouldn't be me :) it does indeed give off a spooky feeling. So many gorgeous features though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For someone willing to remodel, update and furnish, this house would be a wonderful purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful place, just in need of some work. One doesn't know what to think of the ghost story angle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gem if someone who knew what to do would restore it! Getting it back in shape would probably cost twice the asking price!

    ReplyDelete