Monday, February 29, 2016

Everyone Wants a Castle

Well, I haven't been posting, but I have been out walking. Here on a cloudy afternoon, I enjoyed gazing at the mansions I passed, and wondered what it would be like to live there.?
 Would it make me feel more important or any happier? I have lived long enough to know that it might make me feel that way for a short period of time, but I would be the same old self that moved in there. I think we all know that happiness comes from within....and if we weren't happy when we moved in , all that luxury isn't going to change that..Case in point the very successful rancher, land owner, banker who built this showplace in 1910, committed suicide on the property in 1915..
I have to admit I sure enjoy looking at these magnificent homes though, just as much as I enjoy looking at the castles in Europe.
There are no shortage of these enormous places on my walk. This is one of the newer ones
and this one is even newer than the last. It amazes me that anyone would need this much space. Do they even ever go into some of those rooms? I am willing to bet not more than two people live in  each of these three homes.
and here comes another one.


4 comments:

  1. For me, these large places depend on the architecture. I remember one near where I grew up- they started building after I'd gone, and ran out of money. I have no idea if it was ever completed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Janey,
    Yes you are so right in your observations. Sure some comfort and good looks of a home do make us feel good and happy but the size can in no way add to that happiness. First comes being content!
    What struck me most while working on Pieter's trip to China, Hong Kong and Taiwan (via Japan), is the extreme poverty in the regions he has been. Sure, this was a special trip with special private guides from the universities and aimed at mushroom growing. Off the beaten track where the average tourist will ever come.
    But it teaches you once more very clearly how BLESSED we all are! I dare to say that around 75% of the world's population is far worse off than any of us and yet they too have to make do! Tough life in cold and poverty with an empty stomach... And when you look up from your work, it is right back to the consumerism of this era; for the wealthy 25% of the world's population that can spend some or lots of money on things they never need. Like filling up that many rooms with WHAT? To hide from each other or what?
    Hugs and enjoy your walk; interesting area, we don't have such sights around here!
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you should expect they live there with 10 children or so. But mostly they are on their own or two. Can't understand why you would want to live in such a huge house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can only imagine that they do this "because they can". It would take quite the staff of people to keep it clean and maintained. So it seems to me it would be like living in a hotel with people keeping the place up.

    ReplyDelete