Monday, February 22, 2016

The Gift

Over the weekend, Tom and I headed to Houston to attend his old Rotary Club's annual fundraiser. We had a nice time, and it was great seeing so many old friends.

I was a bit  surprised when one of the ladies, that I only casually know, approached me with this festive gift bag.She said she heard that we were coming, and just knew that I would want this..... to add to my collection.
I put my hand in the bag, and recoiled a bit,when I came in contact with this. Thought for a minute it was alive.
In case you are wondering what it is...like I was. Maybe pulling down this netting will give you a clue,

or possibly putting this pin back in the top. That's right folks.It is a hat. Possibly from the 1950's? For some reason she thought that I collected them? I didn't have the heart to tell her that I didn't. I thanked her for her thoughtfulness, and will follow up with a note (don't worry she doesn't know about this blog).
Then it dawned on me that maybe someone showed her this picture. It is of me (in the middle), and two Houston Rotary wives that were vising me in Colorado. I am one of the hostesses of the annual Back in Thyme Tea, a fundraiser for the Victorian Garden at our little museum and everyone dresses in our idea of Victorian clothes always topped with a hat.

5 comments:

  1. Ha, ha, you must have felt a bit confused with this present! It is something our old Queen Juliana might has wore with a fur stole to it! Please make a photo of you and the hat...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my I thought, probably like yourself Janey, that it was a big hairy spider :) How about a pic with you wearing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must have wondered what was going on - I had imaged you might pull out a plant or some chocolates. I wonder what creature used to own that fur?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is always so nice when someone gives you an unexpected gift!

    ReplyDelete