Monday, October 22, 2012

The Women in My Life

click on picture to enlarge
No, I am not showing you old pictures of Texas Big Hair! Yes, that is me (my Jackie Kennedy look) as a bridesmaid at my sister's wedding back in the sixties. I am pictured here with one of my grandmother's  many sisters, Aunt Cal. Callie was a woman before her time. She worked outside the home,  raised two daughters alone,was the first woman to hold public office in Grayson County, Texas and was a crusader for the  suffrage movement.(women's  right to vote) She loved to entertain and  people coveted an invitation to her festive annual Christmas Eve party; a party she prepared for months in advance. Her purse always had a supply of Juicy Fruit chewing gum, which she loved to hand out.. but only if you gave her a kiss first!.   She had a beautiful garden, collected little cream pitchers and her secret passion was watching men's wrestling matches on t.v. Aunt Cal...one of the many women that came before me.

This picture was taken in 1964 when she was eighty.......and she lived another twenty productive years. 1884-1985

3 comments:

  1. She has been a lively woman and reached the age of 100! amazing. You made a nice tribute to her with this story. The picture is so sweet, you as Jackie Kennedy, you're right, we all admired her, but with blond hair I couldn't look like her...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunt Cal sounds like she was a wonderful woman Janey and what a marvellously productive life she led.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what an amazing woman! truly strong.

    and i really did think jackie kennedy at first glance. :)

    ReplyDelete