Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Hidden in Plain Sight


I forgot to show you this historical house in Ft. Worth. I told you how much I like my sister's neighborhood . Well, back in 1901 it was a 137 acre farm. The original farmhouse is just around the corner from my sister. It was remodeled in 1925 when Pappy O'Daniel bought it .

Pappy O'Daniel rose to fame when he hosted a popular radio show. He went on to be elected Governor of Texas and later a U. S. Senator... having the dubious honor of being the only person to ever defeat Lyndon B Johnson in an election. .

He was also famous for backing the Light Crust Doughboys, which was a popular Texas Swing Band prior to world war ll.

The steps of the house has this Texas plaque on it.

My sister has lived in this neighborhood for over twenty years and I never knew this house's history
I also had dinner last week with a couple who lived in this house at one time. Yet, no one ever mentioned the place to me! . 

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Goes to show...if you want historical information you have to hunt for it yourself! Looks like a pretty big house. The original plot of land was a pretty good size!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a very nice house, maybe "Pappy" was not so important in the neighbourhood.

    ReplyDelete