Sunday, January 11, 2015

A School

I was surprised the first time I saw  the high school in our new neighborhood. It seems like all of the newer ones are more like brick boxes with windows, especially in suburbia. I was even more surprised, that it was built in 1936, which was in the middle of the United States depression (1929-39) Well, research tells me that it was funded and built by the W.P.A, (Work Progress Administration) which was a government program to put people to work.With so many people out of work, this emergency enacted program (by our President in 1935), employed over 3.4 million by 1936. I will bet if you look around your American city you can find something built by the W.P.A.

5 comments:

  1. That is a nice program to give people a better life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WPA was important throughout USA. Some cities and residents could not have survived without it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That is quite the beautiful high school!

    ReplyDelete