Friday, January 24, 2020

It’s time to Rodeo!

It’s that time of year in Fort Worth where for 124 years this town has celebrated it's western heritage by putting on a world famous Fat Stock Show and Rodeo.
We received an invitation from our local bank to be their guests for the evening with a whole host of activities to celebrate the rodeo. We were to start with cocktails in the bank lobby. I am showing you the bank because I love that the building is a repurposed old movie theater..
 I was surprised that when the party started that the bank was still open, but it is large enough that the one hundred extra people could move about and not disrupt the other customers. Next we were bused to our town's Cow Girl Museum. Where we were to enjoy a buffet dinner.


It is not unusual for there to be a cowboy museum the western U.S., but to my knowledge Ft. Worth has the only Cowgirl Museum

The large trompe l' oeil mural gracing the side of the building was done by artist  Richard Haas. A trompe l’ oeil mural is a technique where the painting seems three dimensional.
Inside is what you would expect, room after room with interesting exhibits... all with a common theme, cowgirls
.I photographed the tables set up in the large foyer from above.
As you can see there were a lot of cowboy hats being worn. After dinner we were free to roam around the museum.
Where there were paintings and photographs with girls and their horses

lots of old photos of trick riders from wild west shows
and of course the fashions of the day...
Everything was celebrating the female....even the security guard!
              Even I got into the spirit of things and posed for a cheesy photo.
We were then all rounded up to head to the spectacular new Dickie's Arena...since the rodeo was starting...more on that later.

7 comments:

  1. What a fun event. I've made a mental note that the next time I find myself in Ft. Worth, I have to go to the Cowgirl Museum. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janey!I tried to read your blog a couple of times but couldn't get in. I noticed this with some other blogs. Glad you're back in business! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The museum architecture appeals to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Janey,
    You enjoyed quite some treats on that day and we've not even seen all of it yet...
    Impressive large bank building with ample space.
    Richard Haas' trompe l’oeil mural is so lovely!!
    Guess he must have Dutch ancestry as it is such a typical Dutch name.
    You looked great in the final picture.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, a whole museum for cowgirls, had never heard about it before. Very feminime, you look like a real cowgirl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great evening. A cow girl Museum - now that's a first for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I got excited when I saw the bank/old cinema building Janey, Art Deco fabulousness 💙 and I do believe the cowgirl museum also has a touch of Deco magic. Love that it is dedicated to the females. Btw you make a pretty cool cowgirl yourself 😉

    ReplyDelete