Monday, April 4, 2016

The Walking Trails

The Trinity River snakes through Fort Worth, Texas before it heads east to Dallas, and then it makes a turn to the south ending up in the Gulf of Mexico.
So, it seems that no matter what part of town you are in, you are crossing  the Trinity River.
Our town has taken full advantage of that, and we boast over fifty miles of hike and bike paths along the river on both sides. So, if you are looking for a place to enjoy nature, just ask anyone how you find the Trinity Trail System. Tom and I went on a 2 1/2 mile hike on one of these trails yesterday morning, which meant in order to get back to our car we had to walk 2 1/2 miles back. That adds up to 5 miles.Whew!
Next time, I have a better idea. You see along the trails, and all over town, we have these bike rental stations (43 to be exact). They are similar to the popular, and wildly successful Velib bike rentals in Paris, France. You can rent a bike with your credit card. for as little as $1.50 for an hour.($8 for 24 hrs). Long enough for us to get from one station to the next, and only have to walk one way! Brilliant! I guess if we also took a dip in the river, it would be called a triathlon? :)
We saw the things you would expect along the trail. Walkers, joggers, bikers, fishermen, dogs, squirrel, birds and ducks,
and a couple of things we didn't expect to see. These folks were repelling off of the Lancaster St. Bridge. I ask them if they were practicing for a trip to the mountains...and they said no. They repel into caves in Mexico. Hmm...a sport I am not interested in.
 
click on photos to enlarge
I also saw this gentleman who was all decked out in a coat and tie and even a beret. I felt like I was already in France. I hope that you too had nice weather this weekend and did something fun. Janey



7 comments:

  1. Nice reportage of your day. I like that last photo, could be here as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those trails look so interesting. I love walking alongside a rive, as you say there is so much to see. I have yet to pluck up the courage to hire a bike here in London as there is just too much traffic around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, our Sunday was sun-filled and delightful, but the weather has changed today. The Trinity River in your photo looks so calm and placid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like cities that encourage recreation and create greenbelts and rec trails for people to enjoy Nature. Denver has extensive systems of trails, too. Your class sounds so interesting, Janie! I've found spring at last in Glenwood Springs - not too far from home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Duck crossing is new to me. We have similar bike rental stations here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Janey,
    That was quite a walk but with lots of interest and that duck crossing did not cause you any delay I hope...
    One can observe funny people and shake one's head at times.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am guessing that the suited gentleman on his bike originated from Europe.
    How long is it before you head over to France?

    ReplyDelete