Thursday, September 5, 2019

An Optical Phenomenon

I forgot to mention something when posting about our trip to the Caribbean this year....that I thought was interesting,
and this picture I saw on the Internet made me think of it.
A couple of nights when we were there we went to have cocktails before dinner,so we could watch the sunset. We were not only watching for it to go down, but hoping to see the green light. There is a meteorological optical phenomenon (whew those are big words) which occurs when the conditions are just right, and it only flashes for a couple of seconds, so you have to watch closely....as we were doing. As the very top of the sun disappears on the horizon...there is(sometimes) a flash of green light.
I did not take this photo, as we were not lucky enough to see it. If we had, this is what it would have looked like. Have you ever witnessed this? If not it is something to watch for :)
To read for about this flash of green... go HERE

6 comments:

  1. Interesting phenomenon I have never heard of! Thanks for the explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of it and doubt I will ever see it. The sunset looked great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Janey,
    No, so far we've never gotten this type of green light...
    Fabulous coloring of the skies as well!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not witnessed this phenomenon Janey but now you have me all fired up to try and catch it 😊 That first shot is a stunner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes!! Great Post Of Awareness. My freshmen year of high school, best coach ever, played water polo. Our coach held Summer practices in the ocean off the coast of Sunny San Diego. We all thought our coach was pulling our leg because the first time ,there was NO Green Flash. But when we witnessed it, like all of us, its a moment time that I will never forget.

    Thank for reminding me of this past event, of the friends back then, & holy smokes, can I really be this old.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete