Thursday, January 24, 2019

Difficult Climb

I think many of you know by now that I have difficulty understanding most modern art.


So, hopefully you will forgive me for giggling when I walked into the room displaying a work of art by Martin Puryear. Only later with a bit of research, do I understand why a ladder that gets so small at the top that few could climb it, would be a metaphor dedicated to the struggles of one who was born a slave, and became and esteemed educator ....Booker T. Washington.

Washington (1856-1915) was an African American  with a long list of accomplishments, including advisor to presidents. whose autobiography was titled. "Up from Slavery".

The photo from The Modern's site will give you a better visual. For more on Puryear and Booker T. Washington go :HERE

Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life
 as by the obstacles which he has overcome.

 Booker T. Washington.

4 comments:

  1. Oh I've done the same thing myself Janey, only to find later, like yourself, that the art has a deep and meaningful purpose. It's not always easy to see 😉 Booker The Washington was an admirable man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean, sometimes it is hard to find out what a simple looking artwork can express. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Janey,
    Love the quote from Booker T. Washington a lot more than that painting...
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete