Thursday, January 17, 2019

Who Knew?

You never know what you are going to find when you stop here!

Not too many folks sew anymore, but surely there are those that still sew on a button. I was dismayed when I was doing a very large sewing project (table toppers for my daughter’s wedding) and my thread kept breaking while trekking along on my sewing machine. A lady at a fabric store suggested that I try Gütermann thread (German) as it was a bit stronger.....and she was right.






What I did not know at that time...


Is that there is a hidden compartment in these spools!




It makes the perfect place to store a needle when traveling!


Did any of you know this?

7 comments:

  1. I use Gütermann thread and have just been to check one of the reels out, and true enough it is the same as yours. I had no idea about this so thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did!!!!! Only because I was a home economics teacher way back when!!! Also was used as a tiny hiding place for german homemakers long ago....rolled up paper money!!! THAT may be an old wives tale tho!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I confess I did not Janey, but I do now 😉

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a spool of thread like that. I wonder if it's the same.

    About all I can really do is buttons, which occasionally is needed as a button loosens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing find Janey! I really didn't know that. I don't sew so much anymore, only a loos button so now and then....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried one in my sewing box and it really works that way!

      Delete
  6. Dearest Janey,
    Hah, one is never too old to learn!
    Thank you so much for this reveal, I had no clue that my Gütermann had this hidden compartment inside.
    Thanks for the tip.
    Hugs.
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete