Tuesday, January 22, 2019

The Modern

While Tom's granddaughter Annie was here over the weekend, we tried to find things to do indoors due to the unusually cold weather.
 So, we visited a couple of museums starting with The Modern. I don't have to tell you who this artist is. Picasso is one artist that many can readily identify. Although, when I visited The  Musee de l'Orangerie in Paris there were what I refer to as normal paintings of his. Only later did I learn that he didn't switch to Cubism until about 1907.

excuse the bad photography
I actually own a Picasso self portrait (numbered print of a sketch). It was a gift from my daughter's. It was done in 1901 when he was very new to Paris. Look closely and you can see the Eiffel Tower in the background. The man in the red coat is the wealthy friend of a friend Jaume Andreau Bonsons. I like the way at this point Picasso was still acting like the tourist he was. I by the way prefer the paintings he did before Cubism....

6 comments:

  1. Oh I love Picasso's work Janey, I have been after one of his prints as well but somehow get distracted by local artists. You've made me more determined now to start looking again 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some years ago our gallery exhibited something he did that could best be described as a folio. Some sketches are undeniably his style. Others are not. The gallery owns a full set but rarely exhibits it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, Cubism I never liked very much. That is a nice Picasso sketch you have there, never could have thought it is painted by him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy exhibitions where they show the artist's early works. I think you get to understand a little more of the artist. That is a lovely print you have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cool that you have a Picasso! I'm sure you all had a wonderful time together. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Janey,
    Oh, how much I'm with you on Picasso's paintings.
    Don't like modern art at all, it just doesn't speak to me.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete