Tuesday, March 26, 2019

The Great Train Wreck


 I will warn you now...this is rather long.....

In both the Spring and Fall, when we are in Texas, Tom and I are enrolled in non credit fun courses (three each) at the local university (TCU). This  program also allows us to attend six lectures, three of which are luncheon lectures. 
One of the lectures that I signed up for was The Great Train Wreck of 1918. It sounded rather intriguing since I am a bit of a history buff....and I must admit I do like old trains.
I was rather delighted when I walked in,and saw that the instructor was dressed as an old time train engineer! I say instructor because not all of the courses are taught by professors. If you have a passion or a great knowledge of most anything, you are welcome to give a lecture or even teach a 4 week class.

Mr. Clark didn't know anything about this subject himself until he was tracing his ancestors, and found himself in the state of Tennessee. He thrilled to find that the old log cabin of his GG-Grandfather was still standing and had been  restored. The new owner showed him around the property, which by chance had a small family cemetery on it. Mr. Clark was amazed to find that most all of the names matched up with the names on his newly completed family tree. He inquired about the numerous graves that had just blocks of  blank cement for headstones. He was told these were Negros that died in the Great Train Wreck of 1918 and had never been identified. His ancestor had allowed them to be buried on his property. Hence his research began.
I will not bore you with what all I learned about this wreck where over 100 people died, but if you would like to read Wikipedia's description yourself go HERE. I will tell you that the Mr. Clark in his research met up with the great grandson of one of the Engineer's on one of those ill fated trains and that gentleman attended his lecture here in Ft. Worth!

4 comments:

  1. That's a story I was not familiar with at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are very nice lectures to listen to. I am also always interested in history and this one is a very tragic one. A terrible accident at that time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These courses are such a good idea Janey, really good to keep the brain cells in good working order 😉

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Janey,
    That is a great way for underlining history in a more inter-active way! What a surprise for finding matching names that lead to more surprises.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete