Thursday, January 4, 2018

Entertainment

I have mentioned before that Tom and I adore living "in the city" as opposed to a suburban area, which is where we raised our kids. Our new place sits only a little over a mile west of our town's Cultural Center, an area with numerous museums to explore.
photo credit unknown

This beautiful Art Deco building (The Will Rodgers Coliseum) sits in the Culture Center on eighty five areas. Built for the Texas Centennial in 1936 it houses many arenas for all kinds of equestrian events, attracting over two million visitors a year.
Recently, when we had guests passing through town and I was looking for some sort of entertainment ideas, I ran across a schedule for the cutting horse exhibition. It also said there was free admission....which my Tom loves. I don't know a lot about what cutting horses and the riders do, but apparently it is a skill needed by cowboys to isolate a steer from a herd.
In the competition the judges give the rider and horse two minutes to extract one chosen steer from a herd and direct it where they want him to go.
It was a bit amazing to me to watch the fancy footwork of the horse.
The next day I spotted a building nearby, with a sign indicating the the National Cutting Horse Assoc. is also here in Ft. Worth.
Meanwhile, back to the arena. This little cowpoke in front of us didn't find it quite as exciting as we did. :) 
 

8 comments:

  1. That is a real Texas entertainment with the horse, enteresting to watch. Love that little boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to go to that. It's on my list to go to a rodeo again someday! I'm reading The Eighty dollar horse right now and it is SO good! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well we are great free tour guides....come on over to Ft. Worth...the rodeo starts soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looove the Art Deco building Janey.. and that sweet wee cowpoke 😀 it does sound like you are the best tour guides in town!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Janey,
    Guess all the excitement does not suppress nappy time... Great photos and what a skill!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice post.really I apperciate your blog.Thanks for sharing.keep sharing more blogs.

    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Janey! I love Ft. Worth!! Love that pic of that little cow poke of yours! Have a wonderful new year!

    ReplyDelete