Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Flaneuse

I have learned a new word "flaneuse" which is the female of the French word flaneur. To flaneur was the act of strolling about ,usually a top hatted (upper class) man who  walked around 19th century Paris  aimlessly  and reported on what he saw. More than likely things connected to the arts.Women at that time were expected to have chaperones and would not stroll about or flaneur on their own.

The Contemporary Arts Museum on the Texas Christian University campus has an exhibit on modern day flaneuses, from all over the world, reporting back with works of art representing what they have witnessed on their streets. I attended the exhibit with my art appreciation special interest group.


.
This large photo caught my eye. It is by Martha Cooper who is a photojournalist from Baltimore. In the 1970's and 80's she  documented the graffiti artists in NYC. At that time 80 per cent of the taggers were men. Meet Lady Pink (taken in 1982) who  represented one of the very few female taggers of her time. Lady Pink today is 53yrs old and  a respected artist,muralist and tagger.

7 comments:

  1. That's the first I've ever heard the term.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess you could call us modern day flaneuse Janey, we stroll around recoding things on our cameras, keeping the top hat for special occasions 😀😀

    ReplyDelete
  3. A flaneuse, a funny word Janey. I agree with Perth Daily :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very interesting AND informative post. I learned a new vocabulary word and cultural practice! You and I really need to get back to our former practice of visiting one another's blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi all dear !!
    great article and information, with your blogcomment.
    I see your blog daily, it is crispy to study.
    Your blog is very useful for me & i like so much.
    I love your posts and everything looks wonderful. I love your idea.
    thanks for sharing.
    หนังดราม่า

    ReplyDelete