Thursday, September 27, 2018

Special Interest Group

As many of you know, I am taking classes at Texas Christian University. They are just fun courses (for Senior Citizens) and aren't for credit. As part of this program they also have special interest groups. I signed up for The Art of Ft. Worth, and I am so happy that I did. A very creative person has been putting together some very educational and fun outing.
Today our group took the TRE train from Ft. Worth to Dallas for the day.Yes we are seeking out works of art in nearby Dallas too. We visited the Dallas Museum of Art's Eugene and Margaret McDermot's Exhibit.
Most metropolitan Cities can claim one couple or person who exemplifies the word Philanthropist.The McDermots were that couple in Dallas. Mr. McDermot was a co founder of the wildly successful Texas Instruments...a computer components company. . They have over the years helped The Dallas Art Museum acquire an impressive collection of art. Mr. McDermot passed away in 1973, but Mrs. McDermot died this May at 106 yrs old. So, the foundation has allowed the museum exhibit their amazing works of art. There are thirty two pieces in all. I was able to photograph a few.

This one is unmistakably Claude Monet. Titled The Water Lily Pond (and Clouds) 1903. I guess over the years Monet painted this very pond over 250 times

Monet again. The Poplars 1891 . There was a story that went with this one. Seems the village was going to widen a road near Monet's house and were going to cut down these trees.. He happened to be working on a painting of those very trees, and persuaded the powers that be to wait until the painting was completed.
Although known primarily for his landscapes. Monet in his early years liked to paint still lifes. This one titled Tea Service was done in 1872
There were several other famous artists in the collection like this sketch of Renoir's titled Study of Nudes 1886

and this one Dancer With A Fan by  Degas 1879

Seems our tour guide had the painting of the dancer on his bucket list and had no idea it would be in the McDermot's collection.
  This 1898 painting, Rooftops, was done by Paul Cezanne


I don't know much about this artist, but I liked it. Windmill 1917 by Piet Mondrain and Dutch Artist.

We have several more exciting outing before the end of the year which I know I will enjoy.

4 comments:

  1. What a treat Janey.. all of these works would have been brilliant to see. My sister has joined the same kind of group with the university here, she is enjoying it so much ✨

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, especially the Monets. I know he favoured painting the same subject in different light and different seasons repeatedly, especially in his later years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice exhibition Janey, that last one is made by Piet Mondriaan I think, indeed a famous Dutch artist who later changed to abstract art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi all dear !!
    great article and information, with your blogcomment.
    I see your blog daily, it is crispy to study.
    Your blog is very useful for me & i like so much.
    I love your posts and everything looks wonderful. I love your idea.
    thanks for sharing.
    หนังดราม่า

    ReplyDelete