Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Conversations With Alexa

 

Do you see her? She is innocently sitting on the table beside my favorite chair. It’s an Amazon Alexa. She was a Christmas gift a few years ago from one our daughters. I feel sure that most everyone is familiar with her (it?).. If not she is a virtual assistant. Some people prefer the Google Assistants and others just rely on Siri. I do use Siri for directions. I have navigation as one of the accessories in my car, but find it much easier to hold the home button on my phone and say “Siri take me to said address”  and she gives me clear verbal directions every time. …but back to the subject…Alexa. 
For the longest time she sat in a box in the closet, until I decided we  needed to fire her up. We have so enjoyed giving her commands like play “James Taylor.”or Tom’s favorite use for her which has to do with sports. You get an instant verbal answer to questions like  “who is leading in the US. Open or what was the final score of the TCU football game?” She  (Alexa) has so many more capabilities but we just don’t use them…or to be honest don’t know how to.

Oh my this is getting long. My intent was to ask if you have a virtual assistant and if you do are you concerned that she or it is invading your privacy by listening to you all of the time? The virtual assistants are only supposed to activate if you preface your question or command with their name like “Alexa or Hey Goggle. The whole purpose of this post was to tell you about how crazy my Alexa has become…or how she is acting out…but if  you are still with me  I’ll address that in another post…..
Have a wonderful day..Janey

6 comments:

  1. I saw a rather frightening documentary a few months ago about Amazon and their Alexa. I honestly would not have her in my home or touch her with a barge pole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wear an Apple watch and ask questions there. It's pretty fun and I don't worry about it. I have asked for football scores when I went to bed and missed the second half of a game! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Janey,
    Just like Rosemary, we don't want to have one in our home...
    Enjoy yours.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no idea what you are talking about. Have never seen one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have a virtual assistant but I can say that every now and then when I'm watching TV, Siri will come alive and try to answer something she's heard on the TV. It's quite startling.

    ReplyDelete