Wednesday, May 9, 2018

It's A Tradition

I spotted this sign on the back of a car parked in front of one of our luxury hotels in downtown Ft. Worth the other night.
It wasn't just any car. Some folks would call it vintage, but it doesn't seem that old to me.
I prefer classic to vintage...sounds special instead of old. It reminded me of leaving my own wedding.
One tradition that I am not sure is popular anymore is the tying of tin cans to the back of the car. I have tried to research where this tradition originated, and found numerous answers. Do you have traditions in your country related to the bride and groom departing  the wedding?
The above is not my wedding car, although we did depart in a Mustang.
The corvette above... for those that don't know is a 1958


4 comments:

  1. The Corvette's a beauty!

    I have no idea about the tin car tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cans were always tied to a car's bumper but I haven't seen that happen here for many years. Maybe it's because modern cars don't have a separate bumper. Not sure about the history of that tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used to have that tradition here too, but not anymore. Relationships are so different today with people living together often for ages before marriage. The car that we left church in for our reception was a wonderful old Rolls-Royce - classic of course not vintage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was not a usual tradition here, I haven't seen it ever but I know it exists.

    ReplyDelete