Saturday, May 12, 2018

Mother's Day

In the U.S. we have a day set aside in May to honor Mother's.
I miss my Mother especially on this day. My mother was the most optimistic person I have ever known. She always pointed out the positive in every situation, even when it was apparent there wasn't one.  Crippled with rheumatoid arthritis, it hardly sidelined her or caused her to complain. She kept all five of her girls in check, despite the fact that most  of us towered over her. Having what seemed like total recall, she could tell you what relative was born on which date and probably what day of the week it was. She delighted in being around her grandchildren and laughed out loud at everything they did or said.She was not a good cook, or a good housekeeper but she was a joy to be around.She loved her soap operas and her Dallas Cowboys (football team) and when she was younger I remember her large stacks of True Romance Magazines.She did not drink or smoke or use bad language...but on Christmas Eve for some reason she always tried to smoke one cigarette and have a glass of Mogan David wine.Yes, that sickly sweet stuff that tasted more like cough syrup. Rest in Peace Mother. Your five girls and seven grandchildren, as far as I know, are all behaving themselves and without a doubt everyone of us miss you. To all of the Mothers out there I wish you a very Happy Mothers Day.

10 comments:

  1. What a lovely tribute to your beautiful Mom. Enjoy your Mother's Day, Janey. My daughter tells me it's been pretty warm in TX. I would take it over what we're having any day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely tribute to your Mum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet tribute to your mother, love that photo of the two of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely tribute to your mum Janey, I wish my mum was still with us too, we never stop missing our parents ✨

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love my Aunt Lydia.....and you. Happy Mothers Day

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Mother’s Day, Granny ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cousin Lyda was a very special woman. Of course all my cousins were/are special in their own way. Lyda's memory was astonishing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this photo of you and your mother! Lovely! And the Mogan David wine and one cigarette... Sounds like my mother! Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dearest Janey,
    Well, your dear Mother is to be admired for seeing always the positive in everything.
    She no doubt has suffered a lot but did so in a graceful way.
    As of late I've had to deal with the pain coming from gout, on top of having now almost 2 months of healing time under my belt for 2 closed pelvic bone fractures. Good grief; not easy without being able to take any over the counter medicine, not painkiller or whatever. But today was better and I look forward to more sunny days ahead. Literally as this wet monsoon seems to stay put forever...
    Hugs from another daughter with her Mother in heaven,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete