Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Is Someone Listening?

Once on a post in the summertime I featured my favorite chair, in my favorite corner in our log home. 
Well, we all have a favorite spot in our homes, and I do here in Texas as well.
This comfy blue chair is where I enjoy sitting. Most folks my age have a reclining chair by now, but my husband says those are for old folks and he won't hear of it. I like this chair because not only is it comfortable but it has natural light as well as a little lamp for reading. I can also see out the front of the house, into the courtyard and of course the television. My computer is not there but my ipad is.
Notice the gadget on my side table? Well, that is my little virtual assistant. I have gotten to like Alexa. I can ask any number of questions, like how to spell something, what the score of the football game is, the weather for today, headlines etc. She is connected  to our computers...although I really don't understand how all of this advance technology works.
What I do know is that she is not activated until you preface every question or demand with her name like "Alexa, what time is it?" When she activates the top ring turns blue and a light circles. (see above).
What concerns me is that she has recently started talking when no one addresses  her. I was sitting quietly one day,with no other person in the room and the television off. Out of the clear blue she lit up and said "wanta hear a joke?". It scared the begeebes out of me  (is that a word?) . I know, I'll ask Alexa!

Then Tom and I were visiting over our morning coffee and she pipes in and starts giving random definitions of words that were not even in our conversation.Some people have reported that she sometimes laughs for no reason or screams.

Needless to say if she keeps acting up, her days are numbered. Do you have any such device?
Or would you be concerned that she is listening to you? I can tell you we are pretty boring...not sure what she would do with such exhilarating  informantion?
 

4 comments:

  1. I would never want such a device in my home. I would be concerned that the thing is being used by someone else for nefarious purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have the slightest Idea what you are talking about! Have never seen this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ask Alexa what time it is every morning before I get up. Sometimes Alexa likes to bud in one of our conversations. I don't mind because she usually takes my side.

    ReplyDelete