Friday, February 25, 2022

House Bound

 We have been having very cold weather here in north Texas. Cold weather does not keep us inside,


but ice does! We have had an ice storm lasting for well over 24 hrs. Hopefully the temperature will truly reach 36 degrees today today! Right now it is still in the twenties. So among other things I have been playing on the computer.



I have been looking for a tree….yes a tree in my little hometown in north Texas, and here it is (thanks google). When I was ten years old I spent a lot of time in this very tree. It use to have some lower branches. Or maybe it didn’t. Maybe it has just grown and the branches are higher up now.  I had a climbing partner, a boy named Mike. My sister and I were living that school year with our grandparents. Our mother was ill and our grandmother thought it would help if the two of us came to live with them. This by the way was not their house (I wish).


This was their house directly across the street. 

My sister and I shared a room that had a door that opened on onto that side porch. We really loved living with our grandparents that year.



My best friend Mary lived in this house nearby. It had an unusual floor plan and was actually featured in Better Homes and Gardens Magazine when it was new in the late 1940’s. Mary’s parents both worked so she had a nanny. I will never forget Vela. She sure kept the two of us in line.
Mary and I spent a lot of time together. On Saturdays we would always go to a movie downtown. With three movie houses in town there was always something we wanted to see. My grandmother would drop us off and we would walk to the funeral home owned by Mary’s Dad afterwards. Her teen aged brother who was working there would drive us home.
.





2 comments:

  1. Dearest Janey,
    Oh my, we had such an ice storm in February/March of 1993 when my Dad stayed with us.
    Those are treasures coming fully to life again!
    No doubt that tree got its branches trimmed off and is so different from when you were able to climb it.
    So special for having stayed with your grandparents and you ought to look for your very special friend Mary! So many fond and mischievous memories shared together. Sure, you were only 10 and even at the age of 14, when I went to the corpse cottage adjacent to the hospital, to see my Granddad and Godfather, both of us laughed out loud. Not out of disrespect but because of the way the then lilliputian male who was in charge, swung open de double arch door and said: 'Come and see it!'...
    So I surely can relate to your story.
    Good luck with finding Mary!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Freezing rain is the one part of winter I dislike.

    ReplyDelete