Monday, January 18, 2021

Brrr

  As many of you know, we split our time between Texas and Colorado. Summers in the Colorado mountains are much cooler than the unbearable summer heat in Texas, so we are usually heading that way in early June, and for the opposite reason headed back to Texas as October approaches.


Several times I have posted the view from our cabin. That is Roundtop  Mountain in the distance.




It’s not part of our view, but a short distance down the hill to the west runs the South Fork of the Gunnison River. Ice fishing is a popular sport in the frozen north in the winter. Although it is usually done on the lake which is three miles south of town. So why is this man cutting what looks like a fishing hole in the  river ?

Nice job.. Notice Roundtop in the distance,


but  look  closely..that is not a fish in the hole!

. There is a (small) group of people that swear by the health benefits of taking an ice plunge. Not sure how long they stay in but it must  be a very short time, hence the person timing nearby.

I have  read arguments about the safety of this practice especially if you have a heart condition, but apparently this group feels it is healthy for you and they enjoy the “rush” that they feel.

Have you ever taken an ice plunge, or would you?


Photo credit: Y Brown

11 comments:

  1. No thank you! I would NOT do that. I live in Florida so that I can feel warm most of the time! heehee! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Janey,
    NO WAY!!!
    It would kill both of us...
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not for me either, but here are plenty of people that do it here too on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not for me undee any circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Polar Bear Plunge, A Few Times - Love To Soak In A Hot Spring And Then Blow Into A Snow Bank - Of Course, Right Back In The Spring Shortly Afterwards - Think Snow

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the cold, but draw the line at a polar bear plunge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You could try growing snowdrops in Colorado the weather there is colder. We had prople who like to go for a winter plunge here though I draw the line there, mind you I have been in the Thames years ago in Febuary for a sponcerd swim but at least I had a wetsuite on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No haven't ever done this Janey but have read of the many benefits. I do however swim in our pool every day at 6am and around 10pm both times the water is pretty chilly and it is indeed very refreshing ✨

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard taking icy showers is a health benefit, too. I'm not interested!

    ReplyDelete