Saturday, January 2, 2021

Eat Your Black Eyed Peas

 

💥💥💥Happy New Year 💥💥💥

New Year’s Eve as far back as I can remember was all about fireworks...which when I was little were mainly just little firecrackers. Come New Years Day it was all about “don’t forget to eat your black eyed peas”. It was said that you ate these to insure good luck for the coming year. 

Some say this southern tradition started back during our civil war in the 19th century. General Sherman and his union army were marching through the south stealing every crop they came across to feed their troops, although they ignored the fields of black eyes peas as this was mainly a crop that was fed to the livestock...or the slaves. So, the confederate army had nothing left to eat and were forced to eat the black eyed peas. I guess someone said eating them would  give them good look. It didn’t work too well for them or for any of us who ate them on New Years Day 2019!

So I didn’t bother on January 1st

Do you have a tradition  practiced at the beginning of the year?

5 comments:

  1. In the Netherlands there is a new years eve tradition, a treat called ollibollen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Janey,
    Those traditions often cannot be traced back all the way... Never was too fond of them!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of these, I don't think I would eat them...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marianne I do like them...and I am thinking you would too.

      Delete
  4. This is so funny. I have a friend who always made a huge pot of black-eyed peas and another pot of greens for New Year's Day. I always went to her place to eat some. As you said, it didn't work so well for 2020 and of course, she didn't do it this year. So I skipped this ritual too. We'll see...

    ReplyDelete