Sunday, May 17, 2015

A Collection

My friend in Houston, Sandra, inherited a collection of bricks from her Mother. I have heard of collecting a lot of things, but never bricks!
She showed me one of them, since they are packed away and not on display. I am wondering how you would display them? Anyway, this is a brick from Mississippi, made by a slave. The plantation owners made their own bricks back then, or the slaves on that plantation did. It was customary for the brick maker to mark the bricks he made.

I found an article, on the Internet, about a Southern college, with similar marked bricks.

7 comments:

  1. A collection of bricks? That sounds cool, but it seems like it would take up a whole lot of space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. interesting and rather powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so interesting that if it were my collection, I would find a creative way to design and use them outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob is hoping I won't keep collecting pebbles I find on my walks - bricks would drive him over the edge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's fascinating. Bricks are quite a substantial collection! At least when my kids tired of their driveway rock collections, I could throw them out under the yew bush and not feel guilty. I don't know how I'd part with something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's fascinating. Bricks are quite a substantial collection! At least when my kids tired of their driveway rock collections, I could throw them out under the yew bush and not feel guilty. I don't know how I'd part with something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That must be a heavy collection, I have never heard of either someone collecting bricks. The history is interesting, but I would go for collecting stamps I think :)

    ReplyDelete