Saturday, February 13, 2021

On To Our Destination

 Only about an hour south of Salado,TX (see previous post) we arrived at our destination where daughter Katy and family live. Have you ever been to Austin, Texas?


Maybe it requires a bit of an explanation.

Yes, it is our state capitol...and

home to the The University Of Texas but beyond that, it is a city that is hard to describe. Sitting almost in the center of what  is a very conservative state, Austin is liberal, young, and high tech. They are proud to be described as the live music capitol of the world, fiercely proud of their barbecue, tacos and where hipsters are rumored to out number cowboys.

It’s a beautiful city with rolling hills to the west and  downtown sitting on beautiful Lady Bird Lake which is one of the many lakes formed by damning up the nearby Colorado River.

It’s the only place that I know where one of the big attractions is watching the 1.5 million bats flying out at dusk from the Congress St Bridge, (although I am not sure who counted them). Look closely. Those are tourists on the bridge, and bats in the air.
I always get a kick out of seeing the many custom signs scattered about a town chock full of small privately owned businesses.
You could spend all day just going on a weird sign tour.
.
Now that’s an idea for a new business!


I know they are very proud of the number of vintage neon signs they have,


and their minding boggling number of food trailers
and trucks, where you can buy anything from cupcakes
to breakfast tacos.

 So bear in mind...when you see this slogan describing Austin...it is not considered an insult.


To be continued








6 comments:

  1. What a fantastic group of photos. I LOVE Austin. I've been there many times and yes, I've enjoyed seeing those bats. In fact, I will watch them again the next time I can make it there. It is a site to see.
    Austin is where I rode in an elevator with the Dalai Lama. He and his entourage were staying at the same hotel. What a charming man and what an experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Janey,
    A bubble post, one can tell you visited family and no, we ourselves have not yet been to Austin, TX with its beautiful Capitol. My Mac got sent there though... for trade in and it got delayed due to the unusual snow there!
    Wednesday my new one will arrive.
    LOVE those bats and who cares if their number is 'slightly' exaggerated; it draws tourists and that is good!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy a bit of weird Janey 😀 Wow what a sight it must be to see the bats, I might have to Google and see if there's any UTube video of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun post! I hope to be able to travel there, once things open up a little bit more. Thank you for this inspiration. xo LIdy

    ReplyDelete