Friday, August 13, 2021

Off The Beaten Path

 On my previous post I wrote about the old hotel we stayed in in Clayton, New Mexico. It was there the little old desk clerk suggested we deviate from our normal route to Colorado.  


The road ahead looks mostly like this. A few cattle and some  Panhorn Antelope.The first time I saw the antelope  I thought the farmer was raising antelope but not so, they are all wild. Always reminds me of the song my Dad liked to sing where the main verse went like this: 

Oh give me a home where the Buffalo roam where deer and the antelope play 
Where seldom is heard a discouraging word 
And the skies are not cloudy all day

Roughly this is our usual route.(looks a bit like a snake). Up through the Texas panhandle, across the corner of New Mexico and into Colorado, and I can tell you it is pretty boring until you cross into Colorado. 


So this is where we left the main highway in New Mexico. The circle is around Clayton where we spent the night. So a few miles west she told us to turn north at the little town of Des Moines and head toward Folsom.


Well, Folsom appeared to be deserted and on its way to becoming a ghost town.



Have a look at what was the Folsom Hotel.



Actually  the views were much greener and we skirted some mountains,



and passed some picturesque farms.
Wait, I always enjoy looking up the history of small towns where  you can find a wealth of information and entertain yourself at the same time. Come back again and I will tell you about interesting little Folsom and what happed to it…





6 comments:

  1. Dearest Janey,
    So glad you got this excellent tip for the old desk clerk. Guess she knew pretty well her surroundings and advised you well. Lovely landscape and so much to admire.
    Love the memory of your Dad's song with the special verse you now came to SEE.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great find! I would enjoy roaming around that abandoned town. New Mexico is full of interesting little places. A few years back, I took a photo of what looked like a long abandoned train station in the middle of nowhere. After doing some research, I discovered the roots of Conrad Hilton. Such a humble beginning I never would have guessed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great "detour" with pretty scenery. When we lived in Prescott Arizona there were lots of wild antelope outside of the town. Fun to watch.

    Looking forward to hearing more about Folsom.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete