Tuesday, May 16, 2017

A Special Memory

If you are ever in Austin, Texas I highly recommend you visit The Bob Bullock Museum. It is a museum that tells the history of our great state. Named after a politician who served the state for over  forty years and retired with the title Lieutenant Governor. He  also had the vision for this museum and worked tirelessly to see it to fruition.
When I saw the Texas marquis and ticket booth from an old movie theater on the second floor of the museum, I commented "gosh that looks like the sign from the movie in my hometown." Well you guessed it...IT IS! There were several Texas theaters in our state...but this sign came from my small hometown.
Even though we had several movie theaters in town..... The TEXAS was THE MOVIE THEATER. I can't tell you how many times I went to the movie there over the years. Sadly it closed in the 1980's and was demolished, but now a little bit of our town's history lives on in The Bob Bullock Museum in our state capitol!
There is another reason I am happy that the sign has survived.. My Mother sold tickets in that ticket booth and a tall good looking soldier use to walk her home. My Mother and Dad on their wedding day in 1942.

7 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story! This really is special! I'm so glad a lot of the old photos have survived. I need to google and see if there are any from my hometown. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a sweet memories Janey. Your parents look great, very handsome couple!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Janey,
    We only can admire the vision of such people that left really a mark in this world! Serving so many others during their lifetime and than some!
    What a very special meaning it has to you and your siblings for the place where your Mom & Dad met.
    Lovely photo from 1942!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a great find. What a surprise it must have been to see that theatre again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool to have a personal connection to the place!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A sweet wedding photo. It is one to be treasured.

    ReplyDelete